Imagine Role Play Forum
PLEASE GO TO http://www.soralounge.com/index.php IF YOURE INTERESTED IN A ROLEPLAY - THIS IS A DEAD, CLOSED, AND LONG FORGOTTEN PLACE.

OUR NEW WEB ADDRESS IS http://www.soralounge.com/index.php
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE!

Thank you,

The Imagine Staff (Free Thought Staff)

PLEASE GO TO http://www.soralounge.com/index.php IF YOURE INTERESTED IN A ROLEPLAY - THIS IS A DEAD, CLOSED, AND LONG FORGOTTEN PLACE.

Imagine PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Tips for Improving Your Roleplaying

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sugary Giggles
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2009-01-08

Character Information
Eng. 1st Lang.?: Yes
Nickname: Jennie
Preferred Roleplay: Alternate Realities

PostSubject: Tips for Improving Your Roleplaying   Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:19 pm

Here are some quick tips I think can help anyone with improving their roleplaying.

1. Always write in third person. This means never use "I", "me", etc. These are only used in speech and thought. When referring to yourself or another character, always refer to them by name or a description.

Good, "Lily took two steps towards the blue haired man in front of her."

Bad, "I walked towards that man in front of me."

2. Write in paragraph form. Instead of writing like a script, use full sentences and incorporate dialog into the sentences. Use terms like, "he said" "her voice was strained as she spoke", etc.

Good, As she walked up to the man, she said, "Did you just steal my cookie?"

Bad, Lily: Did you just steal my cookie?

3. Embrace your character and his/her personality. If your character is really uptight, make sure you reflect that in his/her movements and speech. If they're child like and playful, the same. This really helps bring them to life and helps give off their emotions without flat out saying "I am mad." Sometimes both styles of writing work though so it's hard to give a "bad" example here.

Good, Her back was stiff and her arms were crossed across her chest. Her eyes were fixed on the man in front of her and her voice was flat. "Well? Did you?"

4. Tell us as much as you can about their thoughts and feelings. Like 3, this helps bring them to life and it's good to get inside your characters head. Remember you can't hear the thoughts of other people. Thoughts are usually indicated with italics and either no quotation marks, or a single quotation mark (as opposed to double for normal speech)

Good, He had yet to answer her about the cookie situation and it was really starting to grate on her nerves. 'I know it was him, I just want him to admit it,' She thought, still glaring at him.

5. Your character isn't standing in a blank abyss. So throw in some lines about the location and what's going on around your character.

Good, They were standing in the middle of a crowded room where all their friends had gathered for a party. She had placed that specific cookie on her plate because it was her favorite and when she turned around, it was gone. He was the closest to her and was eating the exact type of cookie she had just had. There were a lot of people in the room, but most of them were gathered near a table a few feet away, engrossed in a card game two of the people had begun.

6. If you aren't having fun, your characters personality isn't right. A lot of times when a roleplay isn't fun it can be because your characters personality isn't one you're enjoying acting out. Consider subtle changes in their personality and making them more dynamic instead of constantly sticking with one main emotion. You may find you can slowly but surely transform them into a much funner character to roleplay without suddenly and drastically changing them in the middle of a roleplay. Also sometimes it can take a little time to get the 'feel' for your new character and they may become more fun with a little bit of time exploring them.

I'll leave this thread unlocked and open for people to add their comments and tips, too.

Established Member

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Character Information
Eng. 1st Lang.?: Yes
Nickname: Stion
Preferred Roleplay: Flashback RPs

PostSubject: Re: Tips for Improving Your Roleplaying   Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Ooh...

Don't use 'dead' verbs. Dead verbs generally lack emotion, and can bore the reader.

Verbs like: am, are, be, had, has, have, is, was, were, and verbs ending in -ing are good to avoid for all but thoughts, feelings, and dialog.

Bad: He was bleeding from a deep wound on his arm.

Good: Blood flowed incessantly from a wound on his arm, a coppery scent filled the air.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Tips for Improving Your Roleplaying
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1